iqracity directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an iqracity user account and create an iqracity user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates);
- send email messages to iqracity (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the iqracity Site.
iqracity also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the iqracity Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
iqracity does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the iqracity Site, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to iqracity’s third-party payment processor and iqracity’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the iqracity Site.
iqracity requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an iqracity user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that iqracity’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that iqracity’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that iqracity’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that iqracity associates the information that iqracity collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the iqracity Site, for example:
- in your iqracity account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other iqracity Site users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the iqracity Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the iqracity Site or a course).
iqracity encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the iqracity Site. (If you later choose to delete your iqracity account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your iqracity account profile plus the information that iqracity collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
- based on your cookie settings, iqracity tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the iqracity Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- iqracity may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use iqracity native mobile apps) you used when accessing the iqracity Site, and iqracity may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- iqracity may track and collect information from emails that iqracity sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
iqracity also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the iqracity Site, how you interact with iqracity’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the iqracity Site. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the iqracity Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the iqracity Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the iqracity Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help iqracity and Members gather information about how visitors use the iqracity Site and monitor iqracity Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the iqracity Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling iqracity and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the iqracity Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with iqracity or Member advertisements or content. iqracity and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by iqracity or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help iqracity and Members track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings : You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject iqracity’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the iqracity Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by iqracity or a Member for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. A list of some such third parties is maintained and available at the iqracity learner Help Center and includes, for some, links to applicable opt-out processes. Neither iqracity nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
iqracity and Members use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the iqracity Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the iqracity community and enable iqracity Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the iqracity Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on iqracity. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the iqracity Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the iqracity Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the iqracity Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the iqracity Site – This includes tracking iqracity Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the iqracity Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and iqracity Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of iqracity or iqracity affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track iqracity Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of iqracity, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
iqracity or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
iqracity and Members share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the iqracity Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the iqracity Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, iqracity and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, iqracity will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
iqracity or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, iqracity or a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
iqracity stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that iqracity hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where iqracity or a Member operates, and in countries where iqracity and each Member’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that iqracity and each Member may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
iqracity controls its own copy of information collected through the iqracity Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. iqracity uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, iqracity cannot guarantee its absolute security. While iqracity works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, iqracity cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If iqracity learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, iqracity may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the iqracity Site or providing Personal Information to iqracity, you agree that iqracity can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the iqracity Site. If a security systems breach occurs, iqracity may post a notice on the iqracity homepage (www.iqracity.org) or elsewhere on the iqracity Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your iqracity account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the iqracity Site or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the iqracity site and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the iqracity Site. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.